Wednesday, May 12, 2010

It's A Small World




What are the chances that being in Taraz, Kazakhstan, a somewhat unfamiliar country on the opposite side of the world, we would run into some Americans one of whom is from the Holland/Grand Haven area? Well, we did!! Our two young American friends are here for the school year teaching English. We visited them in their apartment today and were invited into one of their classrooms this afternoon. The students’ assignment was to basically have a conversation with us in English. They were delightful teenage girls with lots of great questions. It was a joy. One of the questions asked was if we missed America or would we like to stay and live in Kazakhstan? Apologetically I replied, “We definitely miss our children and no I would not like to stay and live in Kazakhstan. Sorry.”

Baby house visits are the same. Timur seemed crabby and clingy yesterday but was in a much better mood today. He has been very quiet and timid. I think more so than when we were here in January. Although I believe that he recognizes us each time we go to get him, we are still taking him away from what he knows and is used to…his little playmates, his caregivers, and his room. We think the transition will be hard and maybe even scary for him. We continue to love on him and pray that his move to West Chicago will be a smooth transition. -wendy

1 comment:

  1. So glad to read about your experiences in Kazakhstan. It sounds like Timur is doing as well as can be expected!!! What a rollercoaster ride for all of you. Good luck with the judge's visit- I believe you said Thursday?? I will look forward to meeting Timur someday- although since I still haven't met Elijah it may be a while!!!

    ReplyDelete